Pet First Aid Instructor Level 3 (VTQ) - Online Blended Part 1

188 videos, 8 hours and 55 minutes

Course Content

Electric Shocks

Video 126 of 188
1 min 22 sec
Want to watch this video? Sign up for the course or enter your email below to watch one free video.

Unlock This Video Now for FREE

This video is normally available to paying customers.
You may unlock this video for FREE. Enter your email address for instant access AND to receive ongoing updates and special discounts related to this topic.

Thankfully, electric shocks in animals do not appear to be very common. I have not seen one in my 15 years of being a vet. When they do get an electric shock, there can be a range of damage. So it may be that it is a mild electric shock and they can let go quite quickly and therefore just get a local reaction which will probably be quite painful initially.

There are situations where if it is a high voltage going through this electric wire, then they can almost clamp down and get into a seizure. And because they lose that voluntary control of their muscles, they may not be able to release that wire, that electric source. So in those situations, there is a chance of an animal dying from an electric shock.

If we did see one that had had an electric shock, I think it would be difficult to diagnose that, because a lot of the symptoms, you are not actually going to see anything externally, but you may find that you have got neurological issues and that it would be a matter of trying to go through a list and exclude certain conditions that they may lead you to think that it could be an electric shock that caused those neurological deficits.