Pet instructor skill review

177 videos, 8 hours and 30 minutes

Course Content


Video 120 of 177
3 min 52 sec
Want to watch this video? Sign up for the course or enter your email below to watch one free video.

Unlock This Video Now for FREE

This video is normally available to paying customers.
You may unlock this video for FREE. Enter your email address for instant access AND to receive ongoing updates and special discounts related to this topic.

Electric Shock in Pets: Understanding the Risks

The Prevalence of Electric Shock

Electrocution in All Ages

Electric shock, commonly known as electrocution, can affect pets of all ages. However, it is more frequent in young puppies due to their tendency to chew on cables. Electrocution incidents can occur wherever there is access to electricity, posing a risk to pets.

Common Electric Shock Scenarios

Areas of Risk for Pets

Pets are most commonly exposed to electric shock in areas where power cords, garden extension leads, power tools, and other electrical sources are present. Recognizing these potential hazards is crucial for pet safety.

Impact on the Body

Variables in Electric Shock Effects

The effects of electric shock depend on factors such as current, voltage, and exposure time. For instance, a high-voltage, short-duration shock (e.g., from an electric fence) may cause a shock without significant harm, while a lower-voltage but higher-current mains shock can be fatal. Static shocks, while painful, typically do not result in long-term harm.

Signs and Symptoms

Recognizing Electrocution

Identifying signs of electrocution includes looking for burns (which may not always be visible) and identifying entry and exit wounds. Pets may experience mouth pain if they've bitten into cables, emit a burning smell, exhibit twitching, muscular convulsions, abnormal heart rhythms, or even have seizures. The severity of symptoms depends on the intensity of the shock.

Immediate Safety Measures

Prioritizing Safety

During the shock incident, your safety is paramount. Do not touch the pet or nearby objects, especially if they are convulsing. Isolate the power supply to eliminate the hazard, then cautiously approach the pet. Check for breathing, administer CPR if necessary, treat burns and injuries, and continuously monitor breathing for delayed complications.

Delayed Effects and Complications

Monitoring for Ulcers and Pulmonary Oedema

Some electrocution effects may not manifest for days as damaged tissues die, leading to ulcers. These ulcers can become infected, causing pain and foul odors, especially if located in the mouth. Electrocution can also harm the lungs, resulting in pulmonary oedema, a life-threatening condition that may develop minutes to days after the initial shock.

Seek Urgent Veterinary Care

Importance of Prompt Treatment

Given the potential for severe complications, seeking immediate veterinary care is crucial if you suspect electric shock in your pet. Vets will conduct a comprehensive examination, including ECG heart reports and blood tests to assess oxygen levels. Continued veterinary care may be necessary for the pet's long-term recovery, depending on the extent of damage.

Preventing Electric Shock

Ensuring Pet Safety

Prevention is paramount when it comes to electric shock. Safeguard cables and limit access to high-risk areas, especially for puppies. Utilize bitter-tasting sprays to deter pets from chewing on cables, and conceal them behind cupboards and furniture to reduce accessibility.